Music at St Paul 


As Martin Luther said, Music is indeed a precious, worthy and costly treasure given by God. 
We are thankful for this gift, striving for excellence in all that we sing, play or do, to the Glory of God and to share God's love and mercy with the world.
Notes on Sunday, September 8, 2019
Today's hymn of the day at our first and third worship services is "Take My Life, That I May Be" - set to the Calypso tune of TOMA MI VOLUNTAD at 8:30 and to PATMOS at 11:00. This text can be found in Evangelical Lutheran Worship No. 583 and 685 and dates back to 1874. The prelude at 11:00 is a Partita written by Deacon Kathleen Cartledge on the setting of Hymn No. 685:
Take my life that I may be, consecrated Lord to thee; take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise. Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King; take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
At 9:45 the Response Song of the Day is Lead Me To the Cross - a deep reflection on how we respond to God's love in Christ. Composed by Brooke Ligertwood in 2006, it begins like this:
Savior I come, quiet my soul, remember... Redemption's hill, Where Your blood was spilled, for my ransom. Everything I once held dear, I count it all as lost. Lead me to the cross, Where Your love poured out. Breing me to my knees, Lord I lay me down. Rid me of myself, I belong to You, Lead me, lead me to the cross...
Both songs are a beautiful reflection on how our lives are changed by God's love - how we can let go of our old selves, rejoicing in how we go forward in God's amazing love and grace in new and meaningful ways.
The 8:30 and 11:00 Choirs will bring a lovely harmony edition of "Breathe" by Marie Barnette that reflects on God's Word being the very air we breathe:
This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me
This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me
                                                                               


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More steps forward! Music increases inside our Worship Spaces!